University of Nairobi was officially handed over a trophy for the award of Huawei Outstanding Partner award. The awardees were officially announced on September 22 2020 at the Huawei Partner’s Night during the virtual HUAWEI 2020 CONNECT EVENT held in Beijing, China. The event was held virtually for the first time due to Covid-19 concerns.
During the event, the University of Nairobi was recognized and awarded the ‘2020 Excellent Global Talent Ecosystem Partners Award out of 600 other Huawei ICT Academies. The University was represented by Prof. Stephen Kiama, the Vice Chancellor who gave his remarks about the University’s collaboration with Huawei and acknowledge the award through a 15 minutes video recording played at the event. The virtual event was attended by key global Huawei partners, management and customers.
Further, Huawei Technologies Company Ltd in partnership with UoN will establish the Academy Support Centre (ASC) aimed at supporting 42 other Huawei ICT Academies in Kenya.
This was announced on December 21, 2020, when a team from Huawei led by Ms. Xu Jingwen, Training and Certification Manager and Michael Kamau from the Kenya Enterprise Business Department paid a courtesy call on the UoN Vice Chancellor, Prof. Kiama.
The University extends its appreciation to Huawei for the continued fruitful partnership with UoN through the Office of Career Services (OCS) and ICT Centre, which has borne many fruits for the betterment of both our students and staff.
The University of Nairobi received the 2020 Excellent Global Talent Ecosystem Partners Award due to an excellent collaboration with Huawei since 2018 in the following activities:
- Huawei Management Trainee Program (Over 20 students from University of Nairobi were selected to join Huawei Graduate trainee program in 2019 and 2020);
- Huawei ICT Academy participation - UoN recognised at Best Huawei ICT Academy in Kenya in 2018 and third best academy out of 30 Universities academies in the country in 2019;
- Huawei DigiTalent Career Fair (Joint collaboration between Huawei, Ministry of ICT, ICT Authority and University of Nairobi to support the Presidential Digital Talent Program (PDTP) Career Fair & AJIRA Program);
- Industrial Visit (University of Nairobi organized a successful tour by top students at the Huawei Technologies Co, Ltd Kenya exhibition hall on June 4, 2019);
- Huawei ICT Competitions participation（1000+ participants from University of Nairobi);
- Huawei ICT Competition and Talent Double Election Committee participation by UoN;
- Huawei Management Board & Huawei Campus Ambassador Program launched at the University;
- Successful hosting of Huawei Boot camps in 2019 & 2020 at UoN;
- Successful Chancellor’s visitation to the Huawei Headquarters in Shenzhen in 2018; and
- Donation of ICT Equipment worth USD 50,000 for the UoN Skills Centre.
The University of Nairobi looks forward to more active collaborations with Huawei Technologies Company Ltd. in future aimed at developing a pool of ICT talent in the country.
he Office of Career Services was represented by Mr. Johnson Kinyua, Director, Career Services and the ICT Centre, by Mr. Joram Kinuthia, Deputy Director, Network Infrastructure Services.