The University of Nairobi in partnership with the Equity Group Foundation, Kenya Forest Service, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Interior & Coordination of National government today are planting more than 5,000 trees on 18th May 2021 in various parts of the University.
The 5,000 tree seedlings have been donated by the Equity Foundation Group to promote environmental conservation and to stress the importance of fresh air( oxygen) during this period of Covid-19.
About 3,000 trees were planted on 18th May 2021, at 10.00am in identified grounds at the College of Agriculture and Veterinary Services and the Wangari Maathai Institute. The remaining 2,000 seedlings distributed to various campuses to plant in their environs.
Among the Ceremonials trees planted were: Markhamia lutea, Juniperus procera, Podocarpus latifolius , Warburgia ugandensis, Cordia africana , Prunus africana,
The following partners will lead the tree planting exercise at the Wangari Maathai Institute at 10.00 am.
- Interior and Coordination of National Government.
- Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Forestry.
- Cabinet Secretary for Education.
- Equity Group Holdings Plc
- Members of Board of Equity Group Foundation
- The University of Nairobi Leadership led by the VC and DVC finance and planning